THE ADVENTURES OF PINK BOAT STUDIOS: MARACAS



   I sat at a picnic table at the Bay View Bar that overlooked Maracas Beach as a flock of corbeaux birds made lazy circles in the sky above me. Vibrant party music rose from the bay below on a fairly crowded beach. The waves were crashing on the shore like the foam of a cappuccino, racing forward on a caffeine high. The setting sun warmed the back of my neck. Breezes came up intermittently giving momentary relief from the Caribbean rays that soaked my skin. Groups of people were gathered at tables at the bar, epitomizing that lazy Sunday vibe.

   The sky was partly cloudy, creating dark patches on the rolling hills. In the distance, receding to the horizon, peaks of white waves rose and fell creating a glitter effect. Fishing boats sat along the shallow of the sea. I spotted a pink boat and smiled. A lone yacht was docked among the boats, sitting with a sense of status and importance. 

   The popular song 'Despacito' started to play just as Patrice was telling me that the wide angle lens on her camera makes her photos turn out like fish bowls, something that she's not too fond of. She leaned forward to take a photo. She worked with a certain urgency; the clicks of her camera like audible check marks on a list of images she would like to capture before the sun sets. It was coming up to 4:30 pm. 

   I myself was experiencing the scene as an artist would, in an immersive way. I trusted Patrice completely to capture fantastic photos for me to paint from, so as I sat there I was perfectly relaxed. We didn't stay too long as there was still more to capture at another location on the beach so we had a quick snack and set off. 

   We hope you've enjoyed this account of our road trip. Our aim is to bring the experiences of the places we visit to you through our photography, paintings and writing. We look forward to having you come along on our adventures! Look out for the photos from this road trip on https://www.instagram.com/psadaphalphotos/ and the paintings that come from them on https://www.instagram.com/zaideewalker/


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts